Monday, February 18, 2013

My Guilty Pleasure

I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan.  Well, I may be exaggerating just a little.  I never did any of the midnight release book parties or dressed up to watch the movie in theaters...but I have dressed up as Harry Potter for a couple of Halloweens.  Also, I can't even tell you how many times I've watched the movies or even read the books!

I actually started to be a fan a bit late in the 2000 time frame.  I didn't initially catch on because when I heard the premise for the first time, I thought it sounded lame.  I was a naive preteen (the first book came out in 1997 and I was 11 - the same age Harry was accepted into Hogworts incidentally).  Then, when I entered high school, several of my friends and creative writing teacher told me I would really enjoy the books.  The first movie was being released soon, so I thought I would read before I actually saw the movie.  Well, I got hooked.  In the course of the month or so, I blew through the first four books and totally caught up.  It would be a couple years till the next one came out (Order of the Phoenix) - and that's when I became a Potter maniac. 

Fast forward to present day, I've been to Harry Potter world in Universal Studios, which I really recommend for other fans!  During a leisure walk around the Rockefeller Center area when I was in college, stumbled upon Rupert Grint and almost had a heart attack.  Yesterday, I went and saw the Harry Potter exhibit in Discovery Times Square.  My 26 year-old self felt like a kid again as I was going through the different displays and it almost felt like my whole life flashed before my eyes.

It's hard to believe that the Harry Potter series has been going on so long.  My particular generation actually grew up with it.  I think that's why I take it to heart as much as I do.  It was something that I looked forward to, whether it was the new book or movie that was coming out.  Now, the next thing on my list is to get myself to the UK - and do a Harry Potter tour!  :-)

I was off today from work because of the President's Day holiday.  In celebration of going to the exhibit, I felt the need to watch a couple of the movies. 

I'm a proud Harry Potter nerd.

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Copyright The Professional Army Wife | Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs