Monday, April 8, 2013

Spring into Gear!

The weather is FINALLY turning in NYC!  Today was the first day of the year that I did not wear my down coat.  Woohoo, it's officially jacket weather!

It also means I need to get myself into gear for the runs I have planned in the coming months.  I'm hoping to start training for a handful of 5Ks and one 10-mile run asap!

From now on, I will be focusing some of my time to achieve my fitness goals.  I'll work on my fundraising goals as soon as I register too.  So far, I really want to participate in three organized runs.  All three have fantastic missions and the organizations that back it up are fantastic!

 

The first event is coming up on June 8.  It's the Run For The Warriors 5K, which supports Hope for Warriors.  Hope for Warriors is an organization that helps service members and their families as well as families of the fallen.  Here's a fun fact about Hope for Warriors, it was established by a group of military wives!

The next run is the Runyon 5K at Yankee Stadium on August 18.  This is a cool one because it uses Yankee Stadium as its course.  Participants go up and down the levels - and my favorite part - run on the field!  I arranged a team a couple years ago and I'm hoping to do so again this year.  The 5K benefits the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation, a fabulous foundation that helps fund early-career scientists in their careers in a broad range of cancer research!  That cause is also near and dear to me.


Lastly (for right now at least), the Army 10-Miler in Washington DC on October 20!  A best friend of mine, Melissa, brought this one to my attention and when she told me about it, I was on-board!  I thought it would definitely be fitting as I'm now an Army spouse.  The most I've ever participated in was a 5K, so it will definitely be interesting! 

Anyway, I'm really eager to start training and excited to participate!




Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Copyright The Professional Army Wife | Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs