Monday, March 31, 2014

Meet Xena, Warrior Cat


Big announcement! I've mentioned it subtly before, but I'm making it official now...

I'm a fur parent!

My husband and I adopted a 10 month-old cat about two weeks ago! It was after a very disappointing rejection from another adoption organization that denied us because we were a military couple (yes, it was devastating). I did a little more research and we went and spoke to a few more adoption organizations. I had to explain our situation: yes, we're an Army family, but we are ready for the lifetime commitment of being a pet parent.

We were lucky because it wasn't long after we met the amazing folks from Animal Allies, based in Fairfax, Virginia. They were amazing and understanding - and truly saw how serious we were to adopt. They recommended a kitten named Tina (at the time). We took her home that day to foster for a week to see if she would be a good fit for us.

The first week was tough for Tina. I set-up shop for her in my office that way she can be with me most of the day as I worked. She wouldn't leave the corner though - for days - and it really worried me. A couple days later, she warmed up to me more and came out. She started eating and sitting on my lap. When my husband would come home, she would get scared, but immediately warmed up again.

We would be patient and play with her in her "safe room," aka my office. She began to open up and get excited with the toys we got her. A day before we signed the adoption paperwork, she ventured outside her safe room to explore the rest of the apartment. She explored cautiously, yet curiously.

Now, she owns the whole apartment! I moved her litter box to the utility room and her food to the kitchen. My husband loves to play with her in the living room, where she goes crazy!

I see that first rejection as fate now. Tina was meant to find us and be a part of our family. She is so adorable and sweet.

It's really bad because I've become a crazy cat parent. I take WAY too many pictures of every cute thing she does...my instagram account has proof....



Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. She is so cute!!! Welcome to the fur-parent club! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a cute kitty! Congrats on getting a fur baby!

    Just A Girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for being a fur parent! We got rejected from a few places too with our second dog adoption adventure due to our military status. We were appalled!

    ReplyDelete

 
Content Copyright The Professional Army Wife | Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs