Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Advice My 10-Year-Old Self Would Give Me

It seems like a distant memory now, but I was born a military brat.  My dad had a full career in the Air Force.  During his 21-ish years of service, my mom and I have been by his side supporting him in any way possible.

I've been reading in several different outlets that April is the month of the military child.  It really got me thinking about my time as a military child and what I went through.  I certainly was a lot more understanding than I am now as a military spouse.  Don't get me wrong, I was very annoyed that my life revolved around the orders given to my dad.  Right now, I feel like I'm at my wits' end with the Army, especially with everything going on during my husband's tour.  I'm so lost and helpless.  We're having trouble with getting his leave together, his command didn't let him go to church on Easter to get confirmed (even WITH a pass, that is a whole other story...!), the registration on our car expires in less than a month, but I'm not on the title so I can't re-register the car or do anything for him, and the list goes on and on.....

I've only been a spouse for a little more than three months and I'm spent.  As I was reading about how military children are strong, I thought more about my younger years.  I've practically lived through it all before, and I just have to remember what I learned from living this lifestyle.  So, what advice would my younger self give me now?

1. It really is okay to go crazy every once in awhile.  If you want to cry and run around in circles, do it.  There will be a lot of things you cannot control.  After getting all the craziness out of your system, you will be tired and feel a thousand times better.

2. Go out and play with your friends.  Your family and friends are your biggest support system!  Go hiking, watch movies, play in the park, etc.  You'd be surprised how much your mood improves when you surround yourself with people you love.

4. Be proud of your service member and yourself.  Remember that your service member is doing a very important job that actually helps not only your family, but the families of countless other Americans.  Don't forget that your family serves along side your loved one and that's also an important job!

5. Everything will be okay.  When you think your life is over, you'll quickly realize that life goes on.  Another PCS, making new friends, exploring new places, it's actually all a blessing.  You are experiencing a very unique life full of adventure, so be sure to have fun!



Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Copyright The Professional Army Wife | Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs